Sunday, December 31, 2006

Of Typical End of Year/New Year Ponderings...

It is nearly 2007. This is the time of year when everyone sits back and ponders the year before, makes impossible resolutions for the next year and heralds the steady march of time with giant parties and loud noises. Last year I was in Khartoum at the Belgian Embassy with some friends and we shouted and cheered as the clock struck midnight. I wasn't too sure how I felt at that time, whether or not I was happy for another year, as I was just a few days shy of leaving Sudan after fourteen months of living amongst its destitute and marginalized. Still I cheered, whistled loudly, and clinked glasses with my buddy as we both cerimoniously took puffs on our cuban cigars.

This year is much more quiet. I'm at home. I didn't have the heart to go out and frolic the night away, spending money that I really shouldn't spend, so I decided to stick it out here with the fam. I've got a bunch of things to save up for in this next year, so saving money is a good idea. There are other reasons I want to be with my family, but I won't go into them here...at this point.

Most of you are aware of my adventures in 2006, but for posterity, and because it is the thing to do this time of year, I will list them here:

I came home from Sudan. On the way I met my younger brother Jordan in Frankfurt and we took a train to Rome for a week. As a tour group of two we walked the streets of Pompeii, marveled at the pomp and circumstance of the Vatican, stood in awe in the Pantheon and wandered the streets of a city worn with the hustle and bustle of the ages.

I bought a motorcycle.

I rode my motorcycle thirteen thousand miles around the United States visiting friends and family. There were several times where the only thought running through my mind was "this is the end." Well, it wasn't, although many people on their cell phones and in way too much of a hurry did their best to try and make it 'the end'.

I returned to Sudan, but was only there for a month and a half as I returned to the States to be best man in a close friend's wedding. Due to the tenuous relationship of the Sudanese and US governments I was not able to return to Darfur and instead sat in limbo, waiting and hoping that the tide would change and I would be able to return.

I met Sara Davis at my friend's wedding. She was the maid of honor. One thing led to another and now we are dating...well, not really...I can't call it 'dating' because I am not taking her out on dates. She lives in Illinois, a fact which makes 'dating' rather difficult. As she has told me many times about me I say now about her, "I think I'll keep her."

There are many other things I could list, but I'm not going to.

Happy new year! Mobrook al senna jadeed...

Jonathan

5 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year, Jon. Sorry I haven't called you yet. Life's been tumultuous. I know you have big weeks ahead. You're in my prayers. Take care, my friend.

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what exactly are you? A christian muslim?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jonathan Drake said...

mobrook al senna jadeed merely means 'congratulations for the new year'. The arabic language is a beautiful language and learning it does not indicate religious persuasion.

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger The Warrior said...

I don't find anything wrong with the language. Not the people themselves, either. Just what some of them do. But this goes to other peoples, too.

I guess I should introduce myself. Hi, I'm Spencer, and I'm basically a friend of a friend of your brother's. (Stupid I know--tell your brother I'm "friend of Sly Pig and a fellow Lego collector" and he might get it, although I'm not sure he knows who I am all that much, maybe a little from CW--Castle World, a Lego site).

I must congratulate you on Miss Davis, and hope I can continue to visit here.

I wish we could do more for the Sudanese Christians....

Best wishes in Christ,

Spencer

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your comments on Sanner Chapel, You see it is our old family chapel, built on our farm generations ago. I googled the chapel as tonight My grandfather has passed, the last of the generation, and I am making my own pilgrimage to Decatur. My grandparents started their lives together and this would have been their 75th anniversary. I am happy to see others starting out their now as I leave to close a chapter

Drew Sanner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home