Thursday, October 26, 2006

Of Politics...


As far as I know, I am registered in the State of North Carolina as a voter in the Republican party. Voting is easy for me, if I want it to be, as all I have to do is push one button and, like magic, all the boxes next to the names of the Republican sanctioned candidates are checked, and my powerful voice as an American voter is made known. I don’t really have to pay attention to the plethora of names that litter our highways on the ‘coraplast’ signs that dutiful ‘party gnomes’ scatter liberally. I can just check the box. Not that I do that...but it is an option.

I don’t really like to pay attention to the political world anymore. Part of my reasoning behind this is that there is ample postulating and posturing by the candidates to try and prove their sincerity in ‘helping’ their constituents, but the fruit of their actions proves, eventually, that they are just as easily sucked into compromise as any other man, and all their words come back to haunt them as a gigantic ‘humble pie’ that they usually refuse to eat. It also bothers me that the masses are easily swayed by a speech that A. the candidate didn’t even write (he pays people to make him look good), and B. is filled with fancy rhetoric designed to create an emotional appeal and attachment to their cause.

I also don’t like the political world because it allows people to take valid issues, such as helping the poor, abortion, land conservation and so on, and hijack them for their own political purposes. The issues that the Church of Jesus Christ should be on the forefront on are instead heralded by greedy men who, once they reach office riding high on the confidence of those they have duped, abandon their ‘base’ in favor of a better pension plan, or political positioning that guarantees their re-election.

I know that there are exceptions to the rule. I think that all political candidates should be required to watch ‘Mr. Smith Goes to Washington’, with Jimmy Stewart. If you have not seen it, then you must rent it and watch a man of integrity stand up to the ‘establishment’, and the ‘party machine’, and take part in an action that constitutes a true ‘filibuster’. It is a rousing performance and a good lesson in standing up for honesty and integrity. Would that there be more men in Congress and the Senate like Mr. Smith…

I say “as far as I know” about my political ties because today I received in the mail a political advertisement ‘paid for by the North Carolina Democratic Party.’ Cullie Tarleton is appealing for my vote in favor of State Representative Gene Wilson. He says that:

“Gene Wilson can’t solve our problems if he’s more interested in getting gifts from lobbyists and powerful special interests.”

“Gene Wilson should spend more time working for us and less time enjoying perks.”

“Cullie Tarleton is interested in solving problems, not taking gifts.”

Well, he’s got my vote. After all, he’s got a catchy campaign slogan, “He’ll move Western North Carolina forward – the right way.” Really? What does it mean ‘the right way’?

I suppose that a person’s decision about politics might be swayed by a handsomely designed campaign flyer. Mine isn’t. I guess that being a cynic about the integrity of anyone with political power or who aspires to political power keeps me from being simple minded about what they say. I could be wrong in my approach, and I’m sure that as I grow older and more savvy about the ways of this world I might alter my views and become more interested in what goes on in the sancta sanctorum of the legislative gurus.

Until then, I don’t want to hear about ‘moving forward’, as I believe we should ‘move backwards’ and fix our social problems from the ground up.

Oh, and I don't want to receive unsolicited campaign propoganda in the mail. Democrat or Republican. Just for the record...

2 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger DOC said...

I ran for political office once... I was in the 5th grade. I was running for vice president.

Wasn't really sure what a VP did but I was sure that I wanted to be one.

The best slogan my campaign manager could come up with was, "Be quick, vote for Dick"

I lost.

I wasnt really cool then. I didn't start becomeing this awesome guy I am today until like age 15. So of course I was bound to loose.

Think I'll maybe run again for office since I'm a pretty rad dude now. Think I'll keep the same slogan though. Think I'll push for free beer fountains on every street corner and I think I'll ban all small yappie dogs and any feline as pets. I'll have every child molester castrated and I'll pose a penalty of 1 million dollars for every cheezy gay-ass church sign that says something like "God has a big eraser" or "Jesus God er done" or "God is love but if you dont love Him back your gonna burn in Hell"... yall get my drift

BE QUICK VOTE FOR DICK!!!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger ethan demme said...

yay for voting and the fact that you have a blogger, someday you will see the light and move upwards to xanga land :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home