Sunday, July 30, 2006

Of Darfur and Travel Dates...

Within the last week I have learned of the date on which I shall embark again to the war torn 'hell hole' that is Darfur. August 22. At 2:35pm my plane, operated by Lufthansa or a subsidiary, will take off from the Charlotte airport and after around 18 hours of travel (not bad...shorter than last time) and several different aircraft I shall step off the aircraft staircase and back into destiny. Catchy, huh?

Also within the last week I have been sick, a phenomena that I have not truly experienced since Darfur, and, among other things, I have scraped my motorcycle pegs going around corners with my youngest brother Justin on the back (he loves it). I have also seen a close buddy get married. Cheers to Doc and Amber.

I've had some revelations in my personal life in regards to how God relates to me. Why do we say 'personal' life? Shouldn't I just say 'my life'? Isn't it the same thing? As opposed to 'impersonal life'? I endeavor to work against redundancy. I digress.

I have been reminded of the phenomenal literary genius E.B. White and have been given more of his writings to enjoy. "Points of My Compass" is like reading my own autobiography...at times.

In my return to Darfur I ask that my readers would remember to pray for me and to remind and tell others to do the same. Darfur is a place where very bad things happen daily and all it takes is one doped up, teenage, rebel soldier to get weird ideas and start shooting, to make mine or my teammates day really unhappy. There is the issue of illness to pray for. In the 14 months I lived in Sudan I was more sick more times than in my entire life. There is the mental, physical, and spiritual fatigue that occurs when the whole situation just starts to bear down on you. In order to function you create emotional barriers to what goes on around you but the strain of not letting your heart react naturally causes cracks and thus we take rest periods on ocassion. So please pray for me in that regard and remember not to pray only for me but for the rest of the Samaritan's Purse team there.

As an encompassing request, call out to God for peace to reign in Sudan. There is only one source of true peace and due to the religious and cultural barriers He, Jesus, is being resisted. We are not allowed to carry out open 'evangelism' in the context familiar to Americans, but we are able to 'witness' with our lives and our hearts as we live the words of Jesus before and to our hosts. You can pray that that message would speak loud and that people would turn to God because of our lives, not just our words.

Stay current with what is happening in that country and daily go before the Lord with your requests. During my first 14 months I learned first-hand the power of prayer as there were times when the worst should have happened but did not.

Continue to check this blog site as I will be posting often.

Regards,

Jonathan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home