Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Of Marriage, Syriana and Corn Fields...

We're back from our honeymoon. Which means Sara and I are married. The whole thing is rather difficult to realize. Marriage was so much looked forward to, thought about, talked about, and planned for, and to suddenly be married...it is kind of weird. Good weird. But still weird.

Our wedding took place on a beautiful day. Warm and sunny in the morning, a hard rain in the afternoon, then more sunshine. It worked out nicely for pictures in the morning, which we had done before the ceremony. The rain worked out as well, as it cooled off the afternoon. Then it cleared and dried up, again working in my favor as our get-away vehicle was my motorcycle. I don't mind riding through inclement weather, I have certainly seen my fair share, but riding off in a torrential downpour kind of puts a damper on the carefree nature of the whole thing. It was perfect though, and the slow ride through the pelting shower of birdseed proved a painful and prolonged experience, prolonged as we discovered birdseed in every place imaginable.

Seconds after riding away we both realized the same thing. We forgot the key to our apartment. I had left it on my key ring to my truck, which my Dad was going to use that evening. Talk about stupid. There was no way in this life or the next that I was going to turn around and go back. How anti-climactic...so Sara called her brother John. Twenty minutes later he met us with the key, intensely embarrassed and prepared with the greeting, "This is awkward. I was never here. This didn't happen."

Two weeks later we're back from the honeymoon, presents are opened (thanks, everyone), things are unpacked, apartment is organized, life is getting to normal. I'm in process of finding a job and preparing for school, and we're focusing on settling down into a manageable routine. It is different getting used to living with a woman in the house. It isn't the same as living in the same house as your Mom. I mean, I never got a pillow in the face when I snored before. Actually, I don't snore...Sara does. :-)

Anyway, life is good.

Justin Lonas, a good friend, is the editor of a publication called Pulpit Helps, and he recently requested that I write some articles about Darfur to spice up his, admittedly, rather boring magazewspaper (it's kind of a cross-breed). Justin is doing everything he can to revitalize Pulpit Helps, but is hindered by the age-old irritation of staunch adherence to tradition even when it is clear that the tradition is detrimental to spiritual health. Oh well, such is humanity.

I wrote three articles, and they were published March, April and May. Over the next couple of weeks I'll post them here, but for now I'll sign off and wish you all a happy day.

Regards,

Jonathan

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great description of marriage :-)

also a great description of Justin's job LOL :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home