Monday, September 04, 2006

Of My Duties, My Security, and My Request...

Dear Readers,

My literary outputs over the last week or so have been sparse, at best, and I offer this missive as a chance to explain.

In preparation to come back to Darfur, I was under the impression that I would reintegrate with the food program, not in my former capacity, but in one that would lend me many opportunities to grow in my knowledge and experience. Upon arrival in Khartoum, I was informed that, due to the sudden resigning of our Wat/San (water and sanitation) program manager, I was to assume the duties he left behind.

Thus, my last few days have been rather interesting as I have been sifting through the piles of paperwork and files of my predecessor, trying to pull out a description of my duties and objectives and determine a course of action for a wad of cash under my jurisdiction that dwarfs, many times over, any amount that I have previously been responsible for.

Adding a bit of spice to that already hard-to-digest task are the recent developments that we are currently experiencing in the realm of security, things that are readily available from any trusted news source. Having the experience and background that I do in Darfur, I can say, without hesitation, that we are facing an unprecedented situation, and that tensions are beyond previous levels, and the outlook is less and less stable.

Another set of purposes for this communiqué is to assure you all that I am in no personal danger, the team is safe, and also to urge you all to make use of the avenue of prayer, available to all of those who call God ‘Abba Father’, and to implore those of you who desire peace for the world to not forget to daily call upon the Almighty to intervene on behalf of the downtrodden and oppressed.

It is not glamorous, but there is a part of me that revels in the chance to be on the front lines of serious history in the making, and I wonder for what reason I have been afforded such an opportunity. Time will tell.

So, like Walter Mitty, I stare the danger and adventure straight in the eye, take one last drag on my cigarette, and step forward to my meeting with destiny. (okay, that was a little sensational, but I figure I’m allowed some creative license.)

Regards,

Jonathan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home