Thursday, June 28, 2007

Of Return to the Work Force...


After two weeks of unemployment, I have at last secured a job. I am returning to the world of construction, drawing upon my experience in that field, and it all begins Monday.

I put out seven or eight applications, mostly in the shipping and receiving world, but so far this is the only position that has been offered. There was a promising lead for a job driving a forklift, which I would have really enjoyed (and might still do once I begin school), but that failed to materialize in a timely manner.

In keeping with normal construction procedures the hours are relatively early, 7:30am to 4:30, but my first job is less than five minutes from our apartment. I have never actually applied for a construction job before, as my previous experience has been through my own projects, or through working with friends. It was nice to sit down in the interview and answer positive to the questions regarding my experience, "have you ever worked with metal studs?" "Have you ever done wooden framing?" "Remodeling?" etc.

The pay is decent, at least for this area, and they told me that once school starts they'll be willing to be flexible on hours. As the weather cools off and the bottom drops out of the mercury, I'll look indoors for employment, but for now being outdoors in a physically demanding job suits me just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home